Fans are encouraged to visit AllStarTeachers.com to vote on their favorite stories now through June 29th. One winner from each of the 30 MLB Clubs will be included in All-Star Week activities and recognized during the pre-game ceremony of the 2014 MLB All-Star Game on FOX. An "All-Star Teacher" winner will be featured in 'PEOPLE' during the week of the MLB All-Star Game.
PHILLIES "ALL-STAR TEACHER" FINALISTS
Garrett Lyons, Howard High in Wilmington, DE
- Graduate of the University of Virginia with a degree in History with two years as an educator.
- Was accepted into the Teach for America program where he helped develop a refugee program for school children in Charlottesville to close the education gap in Delaware.
- Students performed 30 percent better on the state's Physics assessment following his first year teaching.
- An avid Phillies fan, this year Lyons has been able to share his love of baseball as assistant coach of the JV girls' softball team.
Gina Rexrode, Leasure Elementary School in Bear, DE
- Nominated for the Teacher of the Year award four times in four different schools and is recognized by colleagues and students alike as an educational difference maker.
- Over 14 years as a teacher, Gina has made sure her students' learning experience is a memorable one, which includes dressing up as a 100-year-old lady, Mary Poppins, a mad scientist, and a butterfly to dancing or playing basketball.
- Established her school's first science fair, a composition book program that is mailed globally and returned to her students at year's end, and teaches special evening and summer classes in her district.
- A Phillies fan and educational all-star who takes time to make sure that students who need extra attention and nurturing, receive it.
Jabari Whitehead, Roberts Elementary in Wayne, Pa.
- A 17-year educator and lifelong Phillies fan, earned his stripes teaching second and fourth grade classes in Cherry Hill, New Jersey and Talbot County, Maryland as well as Assistant Principal for Grades 7 and 8 at Upper Merion Area Middle School in Pennsylvania.
- In addition to his classroom duties, he also found the time to coach high school and middle school football and wrestling.
- Today, Principal Whitehead takes the time to make sure that his students get the best education possible in a nurturing environment.
- Recently made local news after losing a bet with his students when he kissed a pig on the mouth after they surpassed a book-reading goal he set.
Target presents "PEOPLE All-Star Teachers" is just one part of Target, MLB and PEOPLE's effort to celebrate teachers and raise awareness about the importance of education this baseball season. MLB Legends have attended Target-hosted School Library Makeover events in MLB communities throughout the first half of the season including Hall of Famer Ernie Banks, Vinny Castilla, Ron Cey, Cliff Floyd, Luis Gonzalez, Tim Laudner, Gary Matthews, Tony Oliva, Harold Reynolds and Michael Young. Guests and fans can visit ABullsEyeView.com/Baseball for regular updates and behind-the-scenes access to campaign activities leading up to the All-Star Game.
About Major League Baseball
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the longest running professional sports league in the United States and consists of 30 member Clubs in the U.S. and Canada, representing the highest level of professional baseball. Under the guidance of its ninth Commissioner, Allan H. (Bud) Selig, MLB has experienced dramatic changes including Interleague Play, the introduction of the Wild Cards, the new expanded Postseason format, the most comprehensive drug testing program in U.S. professional sports, an unprecedented era of labor peace, significant revenue sharing among the Clubs and growth in revenue from $1.2 billion in 1992 to more than $8 billion in 2013. The last ten years have produced the ten best-attended individual seasons in MLB history, including more than 74 million fans in 2013. With the continued success of MLB Network, MLB Advanced Media and the MLB Fan Cave, the National Pastime is consumed more often and in more ways than ever before. For more information on Major League Baseball, visit mlb.mlb.com.
Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) serves guests at 1,916 stores - 1,789 in the United States and 127 in Canada - and at Target.com. Since 1946, Target has given 5 percent of its profit through community grants and programs; today, that giving equals more than $4 million a week. For more information about Target's commitment to corporate responsibility, visit target.com/corporateresponsibility.
PEOPLE revolutionized personality journalism when it launched in 1974, and is now celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2014. Each week PEOPLE brings more than 53 million consumers the latest news, exclusive interviews, and in-depth reporting on the most compelling people of our time. In addition to unparalleled access to the entertainment community, the stories of real-life "Heroes Among Us" remain an essential component of PEOPLE's editorial approach. PEOPLE.com is the premier web destination for celebrity news, photos, style, and entertainment coverage. With reporters across the globe, PEOPLE is headquartered in New York City and is published by Time Inc. For more information visit www.PEOPLE.com.