Late night, quick turnaround for Phillies' staff members

Late night, quick turnaround for Phillies' staff members

PHILADELPHIA -- Get any sleep?

The Phillies had until noon to arrive at Citizens Bank Park on Sunday, following Saturday's 18-inning 12-7 loss to Arizona, which lasted 7 hours, 6 minutes, making it the longest game in franchise history. It was the longest in baseball since June 3, 1989, when the Astros and Dodgers needed 7 hours, 14 minutes to play 22 innings.

Crazy things happened on and off the field.

How about a few things that happened off it?

• About 10 to 12 dozen baseballs are used for a typical nine-inning game, but about 25 dozen were used Saturday. Phillies manager of equipment and umpire services Dan O'Rourke rubs up the baseballs with mud before every game to remove their sheen, giving pitchers a better grip.

"In the 12th inning, I started rubbing about three dozen every other inning," he said. "I lost track of how many after a while."

• The game ended at 2:12 a.m. ET. Kevin Camiscioli, who is the team's manager of video coaching services, left the ballpark around 2:30 a.m. and returned around 9 a.m.

He awoke around 7 a.m., when an email from Roy Halladay popped up on his cell phone. Camiscioli regularly puts together Halladay's packet of information about opposing hitters before each of his starts.

Halladay just wanted to make sure it would be ready.

• Two clubhouse attendants and one bat boy slept at the ballpark, with one on an air mattress, another on a couch in the ball room (the storage closet where the Phillies keep their boxes of baseballs) and another wherever he could find a spot.

• Phillies home clubhouse manager Phil Sheridan left the ballpark around 2:45 a.m. and got to sleep for a few hours before he returned to the ballpark at 7:50 a.m. Sheridan and the other clubhouse employees would have been at the park longer following Saturday's game if not for the team's alternate home uniforms.

The Phillies wear cream-colored uniforms during day games, so Sheridan and his staff did not need to immediately wash the team's red pinstripe uniforms for the next game.

"That saved us about an hour," Sheridan said.

• Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee was the first coach to arrive at the ballpark shortly before 9 a.m. The other coaches arrived shortly thereafter.

They needed to get there relatively early because of a previously scheduled coaches clinic for kids at 10 a.m.

The coaching staff started reminding each other about it around the 15th inning.

"Hey, Hendu, how about the coaches clinic in the morning?" catching coach Mick Billmeyer said to hitting coach Steve Henderson.

But as Billmeyer pointed out, "Hey, we get the entire winter off."

In other words, it could be worse.

Todd Zolecki is a reporter for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.