"I'm pretty sure I'm going to get surgery," Lannan said. "They've got to reattach the tendon to a healthy point in the knee."
Lannan missed two months earlier this season with a strained quadriceps tendon in the knee. He said last week in Atlanta he wanted to get this recurring issue -- the knee has bothered him in previous seasons -- resolved. The recovery from this surgery could take 4-6 months, although he said he will not rush it.
"Long term, I know if I do the right things and rehab the right way and I don't rush back, I'll be all right," Lannan said.
Lannan is eligible for salary arbitration following the season. He made $2.5 million this year, so it certainly seems possible the Phillies non-tender him because of the health risk.
"Whenever that time comes that's when I've got to reassess the situation," he said. "But for now I'm a Phillie."
Proefrock also gave injury updates on other Phillies:
• Ryan Howard (left knee surgery): He saw a doctor on Monday and will begin baseball activities Thursday.
• Ben Revere (right ankle surgery): He is finally off crutches. "I don't know whether Ryan or Ben will be back on the field here or in Florida [for rehab appearances], but the expectation is that they'll be back on the field somewhere before the end of the season," Proefrock said. "Whether it's up here, whether they're playing in instructional league, I don't know. … I think the main thing for both of them is to just get them to the point where there are no surprises in Spring Training next year."
• Mike Adams (right shoulder surgery): He continues to rehab and, as Adams said recently, he expects to be ready come Spring Training.
• Michael Stutes (right biceps tendinitis): He is long-tossing. "He's making good progress," Proefrock said. Proefrock said there is a chance Stutes could be back at some point this year, although it's too early in the process to offer a timetable.
• Jeremy Horst (sprained left elbow). He visited the doctor Tuesday. He could begin a throwing program soon.
• Joe Savery (stiff left elbow). He will begin a rehab assignment later this week, most likely in Clearwater, Fla.
• Jonathan Pettibone (strained right shoulder): He allowed 10 hits, three runs and struck out one in six innings on Tuesday in a rehab start with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.