The Midsummer Classic has been played every year since then, except in 1945. Because of World War II, no game was played that year. From 1959-62, two games were played.
Four games have been played in Philadelphia -- 1943 and '52 at Shibe Park; '76 and '96 at Veteran Stadium.
Phillies All-Star fun facts
• Domonic Brown has been selected for Tuesday's game at Citi Field in New York. The last Phillies left fielder to make the team was Raul Ibanez (2009).
• Cliff Lee is on the team for the second time in a Phillies uniform; he also suited up for the 2011 All-Star Game. In that game, he allowed one run on three hits in 1 2/3 innings.
• Former third baseman Mike Schmidt leads all Phillies players in All-Star Game selections with 12.
• The most appearances by a Phillies pitcher is seven, shared by right-hander Robin Roberts and left-hander Steve Carlton. Roberts has the most starts with five (1950-51, 1953-55).
• Left-handed pitcher Curt Simmons started in 1952, making it six straight years a Phillies pitcher started for the NL.
• Seven rookies have been selected to All-Star teams: Del Ennis (1946); Richie Ashburn ('48); Jack Sanford ('57); Ray Culp ('63); Juan Samuel ('84); Tyler Green ('95) and Jimmy Rollins (2001).
• Three Phillies have been the winning pitcher: left-hander Ken Raffensberger (1944), and right-handers Doug Jones ('94) and Heathcliff Slocumb ('95).
• Johnny Callison is the only Phillies player to win the All-Star Game Most Valuable Player Award, when he drilled a walk-off three-run homer at Shea Stadium in 1964.
• In addition to Callison, three others have homered: Richie Allen (1967), Greg Luzinski (1977) and Mike Schmidt (1981). Schmidt was the first Phillies player to get a triple.
• Managers have a combined 6-1 record. Eddie Sawyer (1951), Gene Mauch ('65), Dallas Green ('81), Paul Owens ('84), Jim Fregosi ('94) and Charlie Manuel (2010) all won. Manuel lost the 2009 All-Star Game, 4-3.
• The first Phillies pitcher to start for the NL was right-hander Robin Roberts (1950); the last was Roy Halladay in 2011.
• The most Phillies on an All-Star team has been five, and that's been accomplished six times (1976, '79, '81, '95, 2009, '11).
• Bobby Abreu (2005) and Ryan Howard ('06) are the only Phillies to win the Home Run Derby.