PHILADELPHIA - Citizens Bank and the Philadelphia Phillies, in partnership with the Halladay Family Foundation and Phillies sponsors, today announced the 2013 Phans Feeding Families program. As part of the program, Citizens Bank Foundation executives presented a check for $40,000 to Philabundance, the region's largest hunger relief organization. Now in its third year, the initiative has raised money and collected food to provide nearly 400,000 meals for families in the Delaware Valley.
"The support Philabundance gets from the community, the Phillies and Citizens Bank through Phans Feeding Families is so critical because Philabundance serves more families with children during the summer months," said Bill Clark, president and executive director of Philabundance. "For the 325,000 children who rely on free and reduced meals at a school in the Delaware Valley, hunger doesn't take a vacation and Philabundance needs community support to supplement the meals missed in the summer."
To support Philabundance and the 2013 Phans Feeding Families campaign, fans can:
- Buy a limited-edition Phans Feeding Families pin. Pre-orders are now available for purchase online at philabundance.org/feedingfamilies. Fans will also be able to purchase the pin starting mid-July at the Majestic Clubhouse Store and Phillies NewsStands at Citizens Bank Park. Each $5 pin provides 7 meals for families in need. Fans can also purchase pins and make food donations during a special lunchtime event featuring the Phillie Phanatic and Phillies Ballgirls on the plaza at the Comcast Center (1701 JFK Blvd) on July 15th.
- Purchase a "Party with a Purpose" ticket package, taking place on Phans Feeding Families Day, Saturday, August 17, from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. in the Phillies Party Tent at Citizens Bank Park. This exclusive pre-game event includes special appearances* by Roy Halladay, broadcaster Tom McCarthy, the Phillie Phanatic, Phillies Ballgirls and other special guests. Phillies radio partner 98.01 WOGL will also be on site for the festivities. Each $75 ticket purchased provides 50 meals for families in need. (Season ticket holders have the option of purchasing a tent party ticket for $55).
- Bring a donation of non-perishable food to Citizens Bank Park or SEPTA's AT&T Station during Phans Feeding Families food drives on Saturday, July 13, Thursday, August 8, and Saturday, August 17. Recommended items include plastic jars of peanut butter and jelly, canned tuna and pasta. Fans can also donate food at Citizens Bank Park during the ShopRite Partners in Caring Food Drive on Sunday, July 7 and the Goya Latino Family Celebration & Food Drive on Saturday, September 7.
- Purchase a pin or make a food donation during a special lunchtime event on the plaza at the Comcast Center (1701 JFK Blvd) on July 15th.
- Bid on exclusive merchandise and VIP experiences - including a breakfast with the Phillie Phanatic and luncheon with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. - through a silent auction during Phans Feeding Families Day on Saturday, August 17.
- Make an online monetary donation to the campaign.
Complete program details are available at phillies.com/feedingfamilies. Fans may also help with the cause by following @Phillies on Twitter, using #FeedFamilies.
To lead off the program, the Citizens Bank Foundation is donating $122,500 to organizations throughout eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware that provide hunger relief, nutrition assistance and improve access to food for families. Of this commitment, $40,000 will support Philabundance, the region's largest hunger relief organization and Phans Feeding Families beneficiary. The Citizens Bank Foundation grant will provide the first 80,000 meals to the 2013 Phans Feeding Families campaign.
"We are proud to once again partner with our friends at the Phillies to raise money and food for families in need throughout the Delaware Valley," said Daniel K. Fitzpatrick, President and CEO of Citizens Bank and RBS Citizens for Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. "Phans Feeding Families has been a tremendous success over the past few years, helping Philabundance and other local hunger relief programs to serve families during the summer months during which there is an increased demand for emergency food."
Representing the Halladay Family Foundation, Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay will be featured in a Phans Feeding Families public service announcement viewable during Phillies broadcasts and online at phillies.com/feedingfamilies.
"It's overwhelming on just how many families struggle for food each day," said Brandy Halladay, on behalf of the Halladay Family Foundation. "We're honored to join Citizens Bank, Philabundance and the Phillies community in doing whatever we can to support this great cause."
In addition to Citizens Bank, several Phillies sponsors and advertisers support hunger relief efforts and will participate in the 2013 campaign. They include: ARAMARK, Goya Foods, Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia, Hatfield, SEPTA, ShopRite and Toyota.
"The Phillies are proud to once again support Phans Feeding Families and to assist in solving the challenges that Philabundance faces with the region's hunger problem," said Phillies President David Montgomery. "This would not be possible without the support of our corporate partners, our fans and the Halladay family. Together, we hope to make a difference."
About Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania
Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania is a state-chartered bank with dual headquarters in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. It has 375 branches and 1,001 ATMs throughout Pennsylvania. It also operates 12 retail branches and 95 ATMs in southern New Jersey, and a commercial loan office and 15 ATMs in Virginia. It is a subsidiary of RBS Citizens Financial Group, Inc., a $127 billion commercial bank holding company headquartered in Providence, R.I.
RBS Citizens Financial Group through its subsidiaries has approximately 1,400 branches, approximately 3,600 ATMs and approximately 19,000 colleagues. Its two bank subsidiaries are RBS Citizens, N.A., and Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania. They operate a 12-state branch network under the Citizens Bank brand in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont; and the Charter One brand in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. RBSCFG has non-branch retail and commercial offices in more than 30 states. RBSCFG is owned by RBS (the Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc). RBSCFG's website is citizensbank.com.
Philabundance reduces hunger and food insecurity in the Delaware Valley by providing food access to people in need in partnership with organizations and individuals. Philabundance provides a full plate of services through neighborhood distribution programs and a network of close to 500 member agencies in 9 counties. Philabundance serves approximately 65,000 people per week at a cost of 50 cents per meal. There are more than 900,000 people in the Delaware Valley who are at risk for chronic hunger and malnutrition. In 2012, Philabundance distributed nearly 25 million pounds of food. For more information about Philabundance, visit www.philabundance.org or call 215-339-0900. Visit us on Facebook, Facebook.com/Philabundance and follow us on Twitter, Twitter.com/Philabundance. If you or someone you know is in need of food assistance, please call Philabundance's Food Help Line, 800-319-Food (3663).
* Special guests subject to change; no matter what there will be a Phillies player appearance at the Pregame Party.