Nearly 50 former Phillies representing eight decades will return to Citizens Bank Park to take part in Phillies Alumni Weekend, August 9-12, 2012.
Each day features special events and many opportunities to rub elbows with former Phillies All-Stars and Wall of Famers. Fans attending this weekend¡¦s Phillies-Cardinals games are encouraged to arrive early for the many pre-game festivities, which will also be covered live on phillies.com. Tickets are also available at www.phillies.com.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Thursday, August 9 - PHILLIES ALUMNI LUNCHEON
11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.; Benefits Phillies Charities. Limited tickets available at 215-463-1000. Nearly 250 seniors will go behind the scenes to some of the most exciting moments in the team's history. Highlights include Q&A sessions with:
- Tim McCarver, who has been the face and voice of baseball's biggest moments on national television, and Bill Giles, chairman and former president of the Phillies
- Mike Lieberthal, 2012 Toyota Wall of Fame Inductee, and Kevin Stocker, Phillies shortstop and member of the 1993 NL Champion team
- Bobby Wine, former Gold Glove shortstop and Phillies coach and Kent Tekulve, former relief pitcher and Phillies broadcaster
- A full lineup is available at www.phillies.com/alumniluncheon.
Friday, August 10 - TOYOTA WALL OF FAME NIGHT
6:50 p.m. Wall of Fame Induction Ceremonies for Mike Lieberthal, On-field.
- The evening honors Mike Lieberthal, who will be inducted into the Toyota Wall of Fame. Liberthal, a Gold Glove and All-Star catcher, caught the most games in Phillies history and had the most hits and homers among all Phillies catchers.
- Among the Phillies Wall of Famers who will be on hand are Steve Carlton (1989), Mike Schmidt (1990), Larry Bowa (1991), Dick Allen (1994), Greg Luzinski (1998), Garry Maddox (2001), Tony Taylor (2002), Bob Boone (2005), Dallas Green (2006), Juan Samuel (2008), Darren Daulton (2010) and John Kruk (2011).
- All fans will receive a commemorative print of Lieberthal, courtesy of Toyota.
- A 14"x20" cast bronze plaque of Lieberthal will be added to the Toyota Wall of Fame display located in the Memory Lane section of Ashburn Alley. The Phillies began the Wall of Fame in 1978, honoring former players with the Phillies and A's. When Citizens Bank Park was opened in 2004, the Wall of Fame was limited to Phillies greats.
Saturday, August 11 - TOYOTA ALUMNI NIGHT
3:45 p.m. Stephen Starr-Garry Maddox Barbecue Challenge. Held on Citizens Bank Way, free and open to the public (no game ticket needed). Restaurant teams and pit master teams will compete for the region's best barbecue. Features celebrity judges and Phillies alumni.
5:30 p.m. Phillies Alumni Pregame Party with Pat Burrell & Darren Daulton. Limited tickets are available at 215-463-5000 or www.phillies.com/tailgate.
6:30 p.m. Toyota Alumni Night Pre-Game Ceremonies.
- Nearly 50 former Phillies - representing eight decades - will be introduced on the field, including Pat Burrell, Rheal Cormier, Todd Pratt, Lance Parrish, Von Hayes, Kevin Jordan, Ruben Amaro Sr., Ricky Bottalico, Tommy Greene, and Art Mahaffey. Also, 96-year-old Freddy Schmidt, the oldest living Phillie, is scheduled to attend.
- Tim McCarver, who received the Ford C. Frick Award for broadcasting excellence in Cooperstown on July 21, will throw out the ceremonial first ball. Plus, a surprise "Ceremonial catcher and umpire."
- Presentation of the annual John Vukovich Award to Carlos Arroyo, the Phillies rehab pitching coach.
Sunday, August 12 - ALUMNI SURPRISES
- Fans are urged to be on the lookout all around the ballpark before and during the game – you never know where you might bump into your favorite former Phillies player!